20060217

First Rock Album

Now let me tell you a story.

In 1988, one new student at my school introduces me to a cassette tape, and ask me to take a listen to it at home. It was by Def Leppard, titled Hysteria. The cover was apt enough, an image of hysterical proportion.

Before this, I only listened to Alleycats my uncle gave me.

I took a listen, and coincidentally, the first track I listen to was the first of the second side, which is Gods Of War.

It blew me away, seriously! So this is rock, I say to myself.

That song, and a couple of nearby songs, became my staple favorite, since cassette needs rewinding, so I usually ejected the tape after Gods Of War and Don't Shoot Shotgun, to listen to Pour Some Sugar On Me and Armageddon It on the other side. And I kept listening to the same tracks over and over again, until it breaks. A new copy I bought broke again in around 1992, so I have in my hand a third copy, until now.

I told my friend about how I loved the feeling I have by listening to it, and he gave it to me straight away. I don't know for sure if he hated it, and only wanted to get rid of it, or maybe he have several copies, but I do like the decision he made.

At that era, only my dad has a cassette player, and I usually secretly take a listen to this album with it. And I got caught several times as well.

Those four tracks, including others such as Women and Hysteria, are my most frequently played tracks, up to now.

Now I tell you why all four songs mentioned still stood my test of time.
  • Intriguing beginning and ending.
  • Showcases of the obvious riffing contest of the twin guitarist.
  • Contains soaring and stellar choruses
  • Simple songs that contains perfect bits and pieces of fillings.
  • Drenched rhythm section (bass and drum).
  • They spell "FUN" and "SUSPENSE" with capitals.
Hysteria and Armageddon It are my band's jamming favorite. Both seems relaxing enough to be the easiest Def Leppard songs to jam.

This cassette was the only album I ever owned for four years, from 1988 up to 1992, until I bought the newly released Def Leppard album Adrenalize, on April 1992, a month after its release! From that point onwards, it escalates.

Hysteria has become my all-time favorite rock album. The CD is permanently put in our Proton Wira CD player or the in-car CD pocket. And the said tracks are still spectacular to me. I guess they have the future in mind when recording this album.