20090216

New Gear

I have long imagined owning a true portable machine, ever since I saw the tiny Toshiba Libretto way back in 1996.

I imagined using such a gadget as a true road-warrior, for usage such as web use on the go, while thinking I might do a bit of photo selection from my seemingly endless collection. Movies, music or games will also come in handy once in a while, for me or the family. Nothing heavy really.

I was made aware of such a genre of ultraportable notebook back in late 2007 or early 2008, with the InkMedia. Then OLPC, UMPC, EEE PC came out. The EEE PC was particularly successful, covering both world with attractive package and low price, albeit a bit restricted initially.

The genre then basically was altered to the simple term Netbook.

After contemplating for a while (read: a year), I finally settled on a Netbook after all.

It is one Acer Aspire One, in blankish white. The lucky shop is East Computech near the Air Kelantan site I work at.

I chose it primarily because Acer accepted Easy Payment Plan with zero percent interest for 12 months. The rest are primarily the storage, the easy OS itself.

Using it till the last drop of the battery, I was particularly amazed by the elongated duration I saw. 6 to 7 hours to be exact. And I did use it but still do feel too conscious about exhausting the battery anyway. Only thing about the battery is, it protrudes out a bit.

I actually expected it to be much lighter, but I guess such a thing will not be available just yet. A kilo still seems many.

No comments: