20081211

Worn Out Reverse Gear

The 80s were my era.

It belongs to me.

That's why I can never leave it. It will certainly almost immediately came back to me.

Ohh! Those were the days.

The songwriting, the musicianship, the sincerity, the true heyday.

I can consider the Malaysian seminal band Alleycats as my first serious music listening, and that was way back in around the year 1986 when they are at their greatest. And up to now, most of their songs are still covered, and was never obsolete.

And my first serious listen at rock was the quintessential band Def Leppard and that was in 1988. And that particular album Hysteria was the best, and still is.

How about Ratt? Guns N Roses? I don't think anyone can top them, especially back in those arena rock days.

Who can forget screaming heavy bands such as Overkill? King Diamond? Metallica? They were all born in the early 1980s. The late 80s saw Vio-Lence, Sacred Reich, Forbidden etc. And that era was the best for all of these bands.

And who can deny the soul rock musicianship of Hall & Oates, and those jazzy sensibilities Sheila Majid, Chicago, even Toto?

Those doesn't include countless other I can only hope I have more time to listen and indulge.

I had to mention this. Punk and hardcore, too was prevalent in those days.

Though my listening diversified in the 1990s when I bought my first tape, it was still those based on rock. And the grunge movement didn't even make any difference. Besides, it's only a part of rock.

I have at times moved forward. But I will always pull that reverse gear and head back home.

No comments: